The Defence Ministry on Monday cleared a new blacklisting policy that will do away with blanket bans on companies indulging in corrupt acts and approved projects worth over Rs 82,000 crore for purchase of fighter aircraft, tanks, rockets and mini drones. Contrary to expectation, the Defence Acquisition Council, chaired by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, did not take a decision on the Navy’s proposal to purchase 12 US2I amphibious aircraft from Japan, though the issue came up for discussion. However, it is expected that there would be some forward movement on this issue during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s upcoming visit to Tokyo on November 11-12.
The DAC also gave Acceptance of Necessity (AoN) to Indian Air Force’s plan to purchase 83 Tejas Mk 1A aircraft at a cost of Rs 50,025 crore, Defence Ministry sources said. It also accorded AON for the purchase of 15 Light Combat
Aircraft being manufactured by HAL for the Army and Air Force for a tentative cost of about Rs 2,911 crore.
AoN was also given for the repeat order of 464 Russian origin T90 tanks which are being manufactured by the Ordnance Factory Board for Rs 13,448 crore, besides for procurement of 598 mini UAVs at a cost of Rs 1,100 crore.
During October last year, the DAC had cleared the 3rd and 4th Pinaka regiments. The Pinaka has been developed by DRDO. It saw service during the Kargil conflict. It has a maximum range of 65 km and can fire 12 rockets within a minute.
The previous DAC meet on October 20 this year had ensured the progress to the final stage of acquiring the 145 number of Ultra Light Howitzer artillery guns from the US. The DAC had cleared the variations present in India’s demands regarding the artillery gun made to the US and what the US in turn offered.
However, the most significant takeaway from the DAC is the clearance of the new blacklisting policy. Though Defence Ministry officials remained tight-lipped about the features of the new policy maintaining it will be put up on website in the next few days, sources said it will ensure that while companies are dealt with harshly, it will not affect the modernisation process.
As per the new policy, the focus is on graded blacklisting and fines. This means that if a defence conglomerate is caught doing wrong in a particular project, it will be banned for a specific number of years from dealing in that particular segment only.
It can continue to pitch for projects in other segments. “It will be a product specific ban rather than blanket
blacklisting. Also, there will be an option for heavy penalties besides those in contract and even individuals can
be banned,” a source said.
The new policy would also allow many of the stuck programmes, like the heavy weight torpedoes for the six
Scorpene submarines, to move ahead with clarity.
Six regiments of the Pinaka multi-rocket launcher for the Indian Army were also approved today.