Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) is an anti-proliferation group of 34 nations that aims to limit the spread of ballistic missiles and other unmanned delivery systems that could be used for chemical, biological, and nuclear attacks. For the past decade,with improving relationship with US, India is trying to join various multi-national groups such as MTCR,NSG etc.
Probable Benefits to india
- Admission to the MTCR would open the way for India to buy high-end missile technology
- Indo-Russian “Brahmos” cruise missile whose range is currently limited to 300 km due to MTCR.Now long range version can be developed.
- India will be eligible to acquire UCAV like Predator-C/Avenger. These armed drones will be beneficial for life endangering missions and ISR purpose.
- Admission to the MTCR would open the way for India to buy high-end missile technology.
- The entry into this group will shape the future of India’s engagement with not just the MTCR but also the broader global non-proliferation community.